There are over 80 chemicals in the class of compounds known as cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant. THC, CBD, CBN, CBC, and CBG are all cannabinoids.
- THC or Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol is the psychoactive cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant. Some of the therapeutic qualities of THC are; pain relief, relaxation, appetite stimulation and insomnia. It also has strong anti-depressant effects.
- Cannabidiol, or CBD, is present in many strains of cannabis at low levels. Some of the popular uses of CBD include relief from chronic, muscle pain, convulsions, and inflammation. It has also been shown to inhibit cancer cell growth in combination with THC.
- Cannabinol, or CBN, is an oxidative degradation product of THC, usually formed when THC is exposed to UV light and oxygen over time. CBN has some psychoactive properties, but not nearly the level of THC.
- Cannabichromere, or CBC, is a rare non-psychoactive cannabinoid shown to have anti-depressant effects. It is also helpful for relaxation and pain relief.
- Cannabigerol, or CBG, is another non-psychoactive cannabinoid commonly found in cannabis. It has both pain relieving and inflammation reducing effects. It has also been shown to have antibiotic properties.